Nature Of Danger:
Scombrotoxic (histamine) poisoning is a chemical intoxication, in which symptoms typically develop rapidly (from 10 minutes to two hours) after ingestion of food containing toxic histamine levels. The range of symptoms experienced is quite wide, but may include an oral burning or tingling sensation, skin rash and localised inflammation, hypotension, headaches and flushing. In some cases vomiting and diarrhoea may develop and elderly or sick individuals may require hospital treatment. The symptoms usually resolve themselves within 24 hours.